Friday, April 1, 2011

So, John is at a job interview

John has just left the house to go on an interview.  Not that wonderful or amazing news one would think.  Well this is the first interview in over a year of being unemployed or slightly employed.  What is slightly employed?  Well, slightly employed is working for commission only, selling major appliances at Sears.  Sad when the commission check is dramatically less then the unemployment check was.  Very sad.  He is on an interview now and there are four more pending interviews!  After over a year of sending hundreds of resumes; and that is no exaggeration, he is now looking at being employed by three other companies as well.  What changed suddenly?  Well some would say that the economic outlook is changing.  Perhaps the unemployment rate is getting better.  I don't know what it is, I'm just happy that it is changing!

Having a partner that is slightly employed is a challenge.  There is resentment and sometimes it touches the core of the relationship.  I have been fortunate to have two jobs for the past 3 1/2 years.  I haven't been touched by the unemployment curse nor do I feel I will ever be.  That furthered resentment when I would feel as if John was not carrying his weight.  He's done much better after a few heart-to-hearts so I am thankful for that.  So here is praying for a good interview and a much needed "real job" for John.

1 comment:

  1. I hope it works out and he gets the job he wants. I also hope he hears quickly. I'm still waiting to hear back and it's almost 2 months. I know the hiring manager told me it'd take time, and the recruiter said the employer hasn't made a decision, but I'm thinking it's too long.

    Let us know if one of the interviews pans out.

    ReplyDelete